This is a practical assessment covering routine stockmanship duties relevant to all livestock. The certificate acts as a pre-requisite to other livestock husbandry qualifications. A certificate of competence demonstrates that the successful candidate has practical skill, technical knowledge and ability which has been independently and reliably.
Who should attend?
It is suitable for candidates:
- who wish to develop skills in stockmanship
- who wish to add new skills to their portfolio
- who wish to be identified as competent operators
- who wish to promote a professional image
We strongly advise that all candidates attend a course of instruction before the assessment to ensure that they are properly equipped with the knowledge, skills and resources for a successful assessment.
The candidate will be able to identify those key aspects of legislation which apply to:
- Themselves, other people, the environment
- The wellbeing of livestock
- The stockperson when carrying out routine practical livestock duties on a day to day basis taking into account safety of themselves, other people and the environment
- The stockperson when carrying out routine practical livestock duties, ensuring the well being of livestock under their control